^

10 COVID-19 deaths in Cebu City this week

Caecent No-ot Magsumbol (The Freeman) - February 26, 2021 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  At least 10 more COVID-related deaths have been recorded in Cebu City this week bringing the total deaths to 38, so far, in the month of February.

The data of the Cebu City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) shows that the number of fatalities this month is the fourth highest recorded since the start of the pandemic.

The highest number of COVID-19 deaths recorded in Cebu City was in June 2020 at 365. It was followed in July with 175 and in May at 80. Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) Visayas implementer retired Major General Melquiades Feliciano said the figure this month is a huge concern for the city.

Feliciano said that the average number of cases in the city remains high at 191 per day. As of February 24, the Department of Health in Central Visayas reported a total of 3,120 active cases in Cebu City.

On the same day 234 new cases were recorded with 263 new recoveries and one death. Feliciano said that the positivity rate also remains high at 15.87% based on the 1,493 tested last Wednesday. The current cases are from 70 out of 80 barangays of the city.

With cases continue to spike, EOC deputy chief implementer and City Councilor Joel Garganera said the EOC personnel are working double time even during weekends and holidays.

“The EOC knows no weekends or holidays because COVID-19 doesn’t know how to rest!,” Garganera said.—  FPL (FREEMAN)

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with