Cebu News

Samsam taken to hospital, now recuperating from COVID-19

Caecent No-ot Magsumbol - The Freeman
Samsam taken to hospital, now recuperating from COVID-19
Gullas, who announced Wednesday that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, however, said that he is now feeling much better.

CEBU, Philippines — Talisay City Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas revealed on Facebook yesterday, Feb. 14, that he was rushed to the hospital Thursday dawn after experiencing more pronounced symptoms of COVID-19.

Gullas, who announced Wednesday that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, however, said that he is now feeling much better.

In his post yesterday, he said he would chose to be transparent with his health condition being a government official.

“Just for transparency since I’m a government and a public official, last Thursday (Feb. 11) 2 a.m., gidala ko sa hospital because I was very symptomatic. Others na maigo sa COVID walay bation, but I had difficulty gyud. I am still in the hospital now,” Gullas’ post read.

“While my breathing was fine, it was my throat pain and cough that was really bothering me. Sakit gyud kaayo that I couldn’t sleep. I felt like naay bildo sulod sa akong tutunlan,” it added.

According to the young mayor, he decided to give an update on his condition not only for transparency but also as his way of showing appreciation to those who prayed for him and sent inspiring words and messages of concern.

“Decided to post this message because I have also received an outpour of love from all of you. When naigo kog COVID, I received outpouring messages of support from all of you and salamat gyud kaayo kaninyong tanan,” the post read.

With all the prayers, Gullas said, he is now feeling better. He is recuperating in a private hospital in Cebu City.

Gullas, who had been hands-on in the fight against COVID-19 in his city, also reminded those who doubt that COVID-19 is real.

“While most people walay bati-on, believe me when I say lisod gyud ma-COVID kung ma-taymingan na symptomatic ka. Kuyog ko ninyo when we say open the economy but we also need to be careful because some people that get infected…are not as lucky as others. Symptomatic gyud ang uban,” his post read.

Although he was unable to spend Valentine’s Day with his wife and kids, Gullas said he was thankful that his family and the rest of their household are negative for the virus.

“Thank you for all your prayers and support. With your prayers, negative akong asawa ug akong tibuok household. With your prayers, I’m getting better as well. My heart is full. And that’s why even alone in the hospital, I still want to celebrate Valentine’s with all of you,” the post read further.

Gullas got his test results last Tuesday. He has since appointed Vice Mayor Alan Bucao as the acting mayor until Feb. 22, which is also the end of his mandatory 14-day quarantine. — JMD (FREEMAN)

vuukle comment


  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

or sign in with