^
Gacasan defends Sunday âlockdownâ in Guadalupe
A checkpoint in Barangay Guadalupe, Cebu City.
Aldo Banaynal

Gacasan defends Sunday ‘lockdown’ in Guadalupe

Caecent No-ot Magsumbol (The Freeman) - January 25, 2021 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  On the first day of the implementation of the so-called “Sunday lockdown” in Barangay Guadalupe, Cebu City, at least six violators of health protocols and guidelines were arrested.

Barangay captain Michael Gacasan, however, said he was thankful for the cooperation of commercial establishments in his barangay, which yielded to his order to close shop on Sundays to pave way for disinfection.

Under existing regulations, non-residents are not allowed to enter Guadalupe for the next two weeks, unless they go there to work.

Residents have been ordered to stay at home and only go out to buy essentials. Border control measures have also been beefed up.

All these are part of the barangay’s response after recording one of the highest numbers of new COVID-19 cases in the city this couple of weeks.

Responding to criticisms about why the barangay chose to impose the “lockdown” on Sundays, Gacasan said there is more movement during that day.

“Ingon pa’s uban nganong Sunday ra daw istrikto. Dominggo ra ba diay daw naay virus? Dominggo among giistrikto kay nakita man namo nga pinakadaghag movement kung Dominggo, daghan kaayong maglakaw-lakaw,” he said.

While establishments are closed, Gacasan said barangay personnel, including him, would go around disinfecting the premises.

Gacasan had also asked the churches in the barangay to discourage public masses but yesterday, a Sunday, the call seemed unheeded. As soon as the masses were over, though, barangay personnel instructed churchgoers to return to their respective homes right away.

The village chief said he will be discussing the matter again with church leaders, specifically asking them to prefer Masses to be streamed online.

Assessment

Police Lieutenant Colonel Wilbert Parilla, deputy director for operations of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), said Guadalupe residents have been compliant so far with the protocols on the first Sunday of granular lockdown.

If cases will continue to rise in the barangay despite the restrictions on Sundays, police will implement another round of granular lockdown there.

Parilla said police personnel who were deployed during the Novena Masses at the Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño will be distributed today to at least 40 city barangays with active cases.

Around 80 personnel will be deployed at the barangay control checkpoints, although more may be deployed if needed.

“Sa 40 ka barangay, atong hatagan og priority ang top 10 barangays nga as daghan og positive cases,” said Parilla.

He was referring to these barangays: Guadalupe with 50 new cases, Basak San Nicolas and Lahug with 32 each, Mambaling with 27, Talamban and Tisa with 26 each, Kasambagan with 25, Kamputhaw with 24, and Bacayan and Punta Princesa with 23 each.

The count was made by the city’s Emergency Operations Center from Jan. 9 to 22. — Mae Fhel K. Gom-os, JMD (FREEMAN)

LOCKDOWN
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with