Cuenco wants processing of Balik Pasada to continue

Cuenco wants processing of Balik Pasada to continue

Mary Ruth R. Malinao (The Freeman) - December 4, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  Cebu City Councilor James Anthony Cuenco has requested all agencies involved in the Balik Pasada Program to continue accepting applications for the inspection, testing and permits of traditional public utility jeepneys (TPUJs) in the allowed routes.

“There were a number of operators that went to my office nga inquiring whether they can still catch up,” said Cuenco.

“Apparently, we have observed nga so far the program is doing good and the cases of COVID has been going down steadily and they feel more confident this time,” he added.

Cuenco issued a memorandum addressed to the Land Transportation Office (LTO), Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), and Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) to open up their offices to these jeepney units, drivers, and operators who want to apply for permits for their return to the streets of the city, and to endorse those who have passed the requisite inspection to their office so that they can issue the corresponding IDs for the jeepney drivers and the units.

Cuenco clarified that the one-stop shop’s operation for the accommodation of these TPUJs already ended last week.

“We will see kay for now ang katong mga personnel sa mga different agencies are busy inspecting also other LGUs,” said Cuenco.

“Kung dunay period nga bakante sila and we will see og taas gyud ang demand, kay magtapok man gyud na sila (drivers, operators) didto sa atong office. We will see if the number is sufficient enough to warrant nga pabalikon tong one-stop shop, we will accommodate,” he added.

For now, the jeepneys that will be accommodated are those included in the 18 approved routes such as Guadalupe, Lahug, Labangon, Mambaling, Basak, and Bulacao-Pardo, among others.

He said they will have an evaluation with the technical working group and will decide probably by next week if there will be additional routes.

“We will accommodate other routes. We will endorse other routes to the Office of the Mayor because only the Mayor can actually authorize the comeback of these old routes na magdungag atong 18,” said Cuenco.

With regard to the entry of jeepneys from other local government units, Cuenco said he is set to make an endorsement to the mayor on Monday.

“I’d say mga 80 percent possibility. For now, wa pa man gyud mapuno nato ang quota for Cebu City. So, it will help complement ang atong transportation access kung katong gikan sa Talisay, Mandaue, Lapu-Lapu... I dont want to preempt ang among evaluation with the technical working group but I see a strong possibility nga mao nay mahitabo,” said Cuenco.

“I wouldn’t say limited kay katong mga from the other LGUs entering Cebu City, one or two routes raman gyud na ever since... I don’t see any problem with that,” he said. — FPL (FREEMAN)

PUBLIC UTILITY JEEPNEYS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with