Due to rise in COVID-19 cases:EOC monitors construction workers
EOC Deputy Chief Implementer and city councilor Joel Garganera said he will meet with officers of the Department of Public Work and Highways (DPWH), the City Engineering Department and the Cebu Contractors’ Association(CCC) to discuss safety protocols in their work areas.
STAR/Michael Varcas, file
Due to rise in COVID-19 cases:EOC monitors construction workers
Caecent No-ot Magsumbol (The Freeman) - September 21, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  Officials from Cebu City’s Emergency Operations Center will meet with representatives from concerned government offices to address the spike in the number of construction workers who have tested positive for the coronavirus recently.

EOC Deputy Chief Implementer and city councilor Joel Garganera said he will meet with officers of the Department of Public Work and Highways (DPWH), the City Engineering Department and the Cebu Contractors’ Association(CCC) to discuss safety protocols in their work areas.

For the past five days, at least 15 positive construction workers were found positive for COVID-19 positive in a single day.

Of these cases, there are only four index cases coming from different barangays or first patients involved, yet they had been in close contact with 126 others, 16 of whom were found to be positive as well, 59 negative while 49 others were still awaiting test results.

“We need to define its health and safety protocols, may it be public or private constructions,” said Garganera.

Garganera said it is also important for them to know the culture of these construction workers, which are mostly non-Cebu City residents.

Being mostly non-Cebu City residents, the EOC wants to look into their accommodations where transmission is high risk.

From September 5 to 18, outside transmission remains high at 63.63% with the public and supermarkets remain the highest source of transmission at 24.40% and workplace/work-related transmission at 21.42% and from different sources outside at 24.40%.

Household infection, on the other hand, is at 36.36%.

New cases logged last September 18 numbered 32. They have already been extracted from their respective homes and being placed in quarantine centers.

From 38, the number of barangays without any transmission in the last 14 days is now down to 29.

The EOC is reminding everyone to remain mindful that the virus is still very much around and that each one needs to be accountable for the safety of others. — KQD (FREEMAN)

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with