21 days after test in Barrio Luz: Some residents learn they’re COVID positive
Caecent No-ot Magsumbol (The Freeman) - May 6, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  It’s been 21 days since the first mass testing in Sitio Zapatera, Barangay Luz, Cebu City and the first batch of isolated asymptomatic patients is already done with their 14-day quarantine, yet to the surprise of some residents, they only knew yesterday that they were actually positive.

City health workers were back in the sitio for another swab testing.

“Nanuktok sa mga balay-balay, i-swab test daw sila’g utro, kaning mga positive. Nanga-shock mi kay akong auntie giingnan siya nga positive daw siya. Pag-April 15 pa sila na-swab, karon pa ang resulta?” a resident told The FREEMAN.

The resident said her other relatives were not informed about it but the health worker in full PPE reportedly said otherwise.

“Kung nakahibalo pa ni sila, nikuyog na unta ni sila didto sa isolation center. Walay maski tawag. Wala puy nag-follow up nila,” the source said.

Other residents also shared the same sentiments. In fact, a commotion allegedly ensued in the sitio yesterday when a resident questioned health workers conducting the swabs.

A video made rounds online showing the alleged confrontation between a resident and health workers.

According to the source, residents were disappointed why they were not informed about the first results right away. They also claimed that no one ever contacted them or asked for their whereabouts.

“Kaning mga wa nakabalo na positive sila, ang uban ani naglakaw-lakaw na pud nis gawas mga balay magkuhag mga relief or naa ba roy gipalit,” the resident said.

Some of those isolated at Barrio Luz Elementary School were also puzzled as they know of a bunch of residents who were positive but did not go with them in the barangay isolation center. These patients were not the ones re-tested yesterday.

One of the first batch of isolated patients said that from the very start, they have been requesting for the results of their tests but to no avail.

“Giingnan mi’g confidential daw. Unya og nasayop diay sila? Di mi kareklamo, di pud mi ka-check sa among medical record. Inig pamalik namog trabaho, unsay among ipakita? Unya na lang daw idungan sa among second test after the quarantine. Kanus-a pa? Overdue na gani mi diri, wa pa man gihapon mi aria’g doctor,” said a COVID-19 patient.

The FREEMAN tried to get comments from the barangay but spokesperson Eldebrian “Dave” Aranez said he still has to check the incident.  JMD (FREEMAN)

  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with