Most of the recovered firearms, he said, were surrendered by commoners and were made in Danao City, which is known for its illegal gun manufacturing industry.
Romeo Marantal
More than 400 loose firearms surrendered
Iris Hazel M. Mascardo (The Freeman) - February 10, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — At least 438 loose firearms were recovered in various police operations in the hinterland villages of Cebu City since August last year.

The confiscated firearms were products of the intensified campaign against loose firearms dubbed as “Oplan Kontra Boga.”

Police Lieutenant Colonel Randy Korrett, chief of the Cebu City Mobile Force Company (CCMFC), said three operations every month are being hatched to recover loose firearms.

CCMF of the Cebu City Police Office targets to recover 500 loose firearms for the first six months.

Most of the recovered firearms, he said, were surrendered by commoners and were made in Danao City, which is known for its illegal gun manufacturing industry.

“They chose to surrender the firearms because they said they already feel safe,” he said.

Korrett said it might be because of the constant checkpoints and regular patrolling in the mountain barangays, which are the primary focus of CCMFC’s operations.

Aside from the commoners, he said, several businessmen also surrendered their firearms to CCMFC saying they are no longer in use.

Korrett said they will continue the campaign as preventive measure against crimes using unregistered guns.

“Our focus is to recover the loose firearms to prevent these from being used by criminals,” he said.

CCMFC is mandated to fight against criminality and insurgency. (FREEMAN)

LOOSE FIREARMS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with