The first operation was conducted in Sitio Manggahan, Barangay Labangon around 9:50 p.m., resulting in the arrest of Vera Abellana Rama, 33, and the seizure of drugs worth P7.4 million. Rama is a resident of A. Lopez Street in Barangay Calamba.
STAR/File
Drug ops net P12.1 million shabu
Iris Hazel M. Mascardo, Romeo Marantal (The Freeman) - February 5, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Illegal drugs worth around P12.1 million were seized from three high-value targets in separate buy-bust operations Monday in Cebu City.

The first operation was conducted in Sitio Manggahan, Barangay Labangon around 9:50 p.m., resulting in the arrest of Vera Abellana Rama, 33, and the seizure of drugs worth P7.4 million. Rama is a resident of A. Lopez Street in Barangay Calamba.

The drugs weighing 1.1 kilograms were placed inside a Chinese tea bag, said Police Colonel Engelbert Soriano, Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) director.

Soriano said the drugs were believed to have originated from China based on the method of packaging.

“The packaging of the drugs was very similar to the previously confiscated in Samar and Metro Manila,” he said.

Soriano was referring to the P2.5 billion worth of shabu that was confiscated in Makati City in November 2019.

He said they are not discounting the possibility that the said drugs were remnants of those seized in Luzon areas.

A follow-up operation is underway to identify the supply’s shipper and local distributor.

Another buy-bust operation in Barangay Labangon yielded 370 grams of shabu worth P2.5 million.

The drugs were recovered from 61-year-old Mary Joyce Rubi.

The operation against Rubi, who is considered a high-value target in the regional level, was hatched by the intelligence branch of the Cebu City Police Office headed by Police Major Randy Caballes.

In a separate operation in Sitio Cabancalan 1, Barangay Bulacao at around 7:30 p.m., Jhanron Yuman Ministerio, 33, was caught with 329 grams of shabu.

The seized shabu was valued at P2.18 million.

Ministerio was placed under a two-week surveillance prior to the buy-bust, said Police Major John Kareen Escober, chief of the Pardo police station.

Escober said Ministerio could dispose at least 300 grams of shabu weekly to buyers in Barangay Bulacao.

Ministerio, a habal-habal (motorcycle-for-hire) driver, is from Sitio Nivel Hills in Barangay Busay.

The police chief said they are also pursuing Ministerio’s drug supplier who is said to come from Mandaue City.

All three suspects will be facing charges for violating Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act.  KQD (FREEMAN)

BUY-BUST OPERATIONS SHABU
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with