The meat products were confiscated in line with the strict implementation of the ban on live hogs and pork products in response to the outbreak of the African Swine Fever (ASF).
STAR/File
In line with efforts vs ASF: 1,187 kilos of meat products seized at Mactan airport
Mitchelle L. Palaubsanon (The Freeman) - January 26, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  The Bureau of Customs - Subport of Mactan (BOC-Mactan) together with the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) confiscated a total of 1,187.28 kilograms of various meat products from arriving passengers at the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) from January to December 2019.

The meat products were confiscated in line with the strict implementation of the ban on live hogs and pork products in response to the outbreak of the African Swine Fever (ASF).

"All meat products, including frozen and canned meat, carried by arriving local and foreign travelers from international flights have been subjected to inspection and physical examination by BOC and BAI," said BOC-Cebu in a post on their Facebook page.

Meat products are confiscated if found to be coming from countries afflicted with ASF or imported without proper permits and clearances.

The confiscated meat products, BOC-Cebu said, were condemned and disposed of properly. The BOC and other agencies witnessed the burning.

Up to 102.34 kilograms of meat products have been confiscated since the start of the year.

BOC-Mactan said it will continue to be vigilant in the entry of meat products to ensure the food safety of Cebu, its community, and the country.

A few days ago, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said she is eyeing at an even longer extension to the ban on pork and pork products from infected areas, as the ASF virus shows no sign of containment.

Garcia said she has presented this idea to meat producers to emphasize that the province will take no risk in its preventive efforts against ASF.

"I told them, reassess your position because there is the possibility that I might extend the ban beyond June 30," Garcia said.

The governor said she was willing to lift the ban anytime as soon once the virus is contained thoroughly but she reportedly does not see it going this way. In November last year, she extended to eight months the original 100-day ban.

"I was ready to lift it baya. Niingon bitaw ko nga for as long as we can assure nga contained na ang ASF, we'll lift it even before the appointed date unta. But I'm not seeing any improvement (I was ready to lift for as long as we can assure that the ASF is contained… we’ll lift it before the appointed ate but I’m not seeing any improvement)," Garcia said.

"And I fear that we might have to extend the ban until June 30… until it's contained. For as long as naa gihapo'y reports that it's spreading, we cannot take the risk," she added. JMO (FREEMAN)

AFRICAN SWINE FEVER
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with