Market official’s recommendation to close night bazaar stays
Mary Ruth R. Malinao (The Freeman) - January 22, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  There had been no reported violations committed by the night market vendors in downtown Cebu City during the Sinulog, but this does not change city market administrator Jonil Matuguina’s recommendation to close the night bazaar at the end of this month.

Matuguina said his recommendation remains and the decision will be up to Mayor Edgardo Labella. “My recommendation will still stand. It’s up to the mayor to decide,” he said.

“During the Sinulog wala man sad sila nagpabadlong, nituman jud sila sa atong requirements. Naay mga dayo, mao lang to sila ang wala nangtuman,” Matuguina added.

Earlier, Labella said the night bazaar is still probationary for the duration of the Sinulog season.

The night market vendors on Colon Street in downtown area were among the 1,600 registered vendors who were allowed to sell during the Sinulog last Sunday. Matuguina earlier recommended to the mayor the closure of the night market because of several complaints and violations that reached his office.

He explained the business establishments along the area where the night market is located have also complained because the vendors are blocking their ingress and egress. Some shoppers are also complaining.

Commuters were also complaining because of the road closure due to the night market. Matuguina said some night market vendors also cannot maintain the cleanliness of their areas; violate the no smoking policy; and sell their spots.

Last December 2019, it was reported that each spot is sold from P5,000 to P20,000. The report is already being looked into by the City Legal Office.

Meanwhile, Matuguina said they have confiscated t-shirts and cellphone accessories sold on the streets last Sunday because the vendors were blocking the way.

“Nag atang sa dalan. Lisod na kaayo kaagian unya, few days before the Sinulog they were already reminded na dili magpatunga... lisod na kaayo agian ang dalan mao tong napugos gyud ta’g confiscate,” Matuguina said.

He, however, said that the confiscated wares were just released after the vendors were briefed about the policy.

“Gi-release ra man pud nato dayon. Gipaari sa opisina nya ato lang gipasabot,” Matuguina said.  FPL (FREEMAN)

NIGHT MARKET
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with