They attributed the escape to the lack of resources, particularly personnel to guard and secure the Cebu City-owned correctional facility for minors, said City Legal Officer Rey Gealon.
The STAR/Edd Gumban
OSC staff deny liability over escape of 6 children
Mary Ruth R. Malinao (The Freeman) - January 15, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — The personnel of the Operation Second Chance (OSC) have denied committing negligence in the performance of their duties following the escape of children in conflict with the law (CICL).

They attributed the escape to the lack of resources, particularly personnel to guard and secure the Cebu City-owned correctional facility for minors, said City Legal Officer Rey Gealon.

To recall, on December 22, 2019, six CICL bolted from the facility allegedly after a riot.

The denial was part of the OSC’s position paper submitted to the Cebu City Legal Office (CLO), which hatched an investigation into the two-time escape incidents last year. The first incident happened last October 4 when 11 minors escaped from the facility.

OSC houses over 80 CICL.

Officials of the facility were ordered to explain in writing the series of security blunders they have committed.

In gist, Gealon said, OSC personnel denied negligence on their part and blamed on the lack of personnel.

“The investigators are looking at why they are not raising these concerns on normal times or persistently requesting whatever are needed, rather bark about it only when escape incidents occur,” he said.

The CLO is now evaluating whether or not the OSC personnel will be held liable for the escape of over 20 CICL. The OSC is headed by Ambrosio Ibones.

“The question at the fore now is whether or not they are liable under the circumstances. That remains to be seen,” said Gealon.

He said the CLO is consolidating the reports and results of the investigation. A five-man team was created to conduct an investigation into the OSC personnel.

In less than 10 days, he said, recommendation from CLO will be submitted to Mayor Edgardo Labella.

Labella earlier said he is looking at the possibility of relocating the facility to Barangay Guba, saying that its current location is no longer ideal for minor offenders considering its proximity to the Cebu City Jail and the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center.

Because of the incidents, the police said they are willing to collaborate with the local government unit in case it needs their help for intensified security installation.  KQD (FREEMAN)

CHILDREN ESCAPED
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with