Rama said there are two areas where residents are proposed to go: to the permanent relocation site in Busay and temporary site in Barangay Lorega San Miguel.
Freeman Photo
Rama appeals help for Avocado residents
Jean Marvette A. Demecillo (The Freeman) - August 14, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — To alleviate the situation of affected families, the Cebu City Council is requesting the departments of city government to show their support to at least 70 families displaced by the court-ordered demolition in Sitio Avocado, Barangay Lahug.

In a privilege speech, Vice Mayor Michael Rama said he cannot close his eyes and do nothing on the cries of the residents whose houses were demolished without “suitable relocation site.”

“During the demolition, I personally visited the site in order to check on affected residents only to find out that they were not provided with suitable relocation site. There were a lot of concerns to be threshed out in the proposed relocation in Barangay Busay. This matter is very important which was not yet addressed but was projected to be alright,” he said.

Rama said some of affected residents visited his office yesterday morning.

These residents are in a quandary as to the area where they could seek shelter after the demolition, he added.

Rama said there are two areas where residents are proposed to go: to the permanent relocation site in Busay and temporary site in Barangay Lorega San Miguel.

Last week, Sheriff Reynaldo Rule Enolpe, sheriff IV, implemented the writ of demolition on the structures of Lot No. 911 B2 C2 E, covered by Transfer Certificate of Title (TCT) No. 31166.

The 4,000-square meter property is owned by University of the Philippines-Cebu which filed a civil case against the residents of Sitio Avocado for “forcible entry” in 2016.

The UP-Cebu wants to build additional high school buildings on its property.

In his speech, Rama said there should be no demolition when there is no “suitable” relocation site under the Urban Development and Housing Act or Republic Act No. 7279.

“The Honorable Court therefore was made to believe that there was a relocation site as per Certification issued by the PCUP (Presidential Commission for Urban Poor) and that these people can be transferred to the proposed site. This is not the case,” he said.

Rama then asked city’s Department of Social Welfare and Services, Department of Engineering and Public Works, Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor, and other city’s offices and departments to show support to the affected residents.

He said he is hoping that there will be no other demolition that will be implemented without proper relocation site in the future.

Rama added that the City Council should do its part and support Mayor Edgardo Labella in ensuring the welfare of the urban poor will be protected under this administration. (FREEMAN)

CEBU CITY COUNCIL MICHAEL RAMA
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with