2 men shot, found with drugs
Rowena D. Capistrano, Camille L. Pateres, Gabriel C. Bonjoc (The Freeman) - May 5, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  Two men fired upon and wounded by unidentified assailants while driving through Naga City last Friday afternoon were later found to be carrying a hundred grams of suspected shabu.

John Rey Briones, a resident of Barangay Cadulawan, Minglanilla; and Roberto Demiao, currently living in Barangay Tunghaan, Minglanilla, were on a motorcycle heading to Minglanilla from Toledo City when they were attacked.

Police Master Sergeant Michael Villarmia of the Naga City Police Station said while they were traversing the national highway in Barangay Lutac, Naga City, two men on a motorcycle drove up to them and shot them before fleeing.

Both victims were shot in the chest but survived the attack. They are now under hospital arrest in Cebu City.

Responding policemen later discovered a pack of suspected shabu inside the bag they were carrying. The suspected shabu weighed 105 grams and was estimated to be worth P714,000 based on Dangerous Drug Board value.

Villarmia said the ambush may be a drug-related case. The two are currently facing charges for transporting illegal drugs.

Police said they still have no idea where the suspected shabu was to be delivered.

Police Master Sergeant Junyl Ater of the Minglanilla police said Briones and Demiao are not in their drug watch list and both of them also do not have any criminal record in their station.

Meanwhile, drugs is also being eyed as the motive behind another ambush in Barangay Dumlog, Talisay City, also last Friday afternoon.

The victims were identified as Alvin Cueva, 44 of Rainbow Ville, Barangay Pooc and Joel Generalao, 30, a resident of Barangay San Roque, both in Talisay City.

Police Corporal Glenn Besande of the Talisay City Police Station said they theorize that people in the illegal drug business could have been mad at the victims, or they just wanted them dead so they won’t reveal any information to the authorities.

Both had just been released on bail after being arrested for their alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade in the city earlier this year.

After their release, both men got into a cab with members of their family. Upon arrival in the Barangay Dumlog, two gunmen on a motorcycle blocked their way. The gunmen ordered the taxi driver and the other companions of the victims to disembark.

The gunmen then peppered the taxi with bullets, killing the two.

In Cebu City, two separate buy-bust operations last Friday yielded a total of P3 millions worth of drugs and led to the arrest of four men.

The first operation was carried out by the City Intelligence Branch at noon in Sitio Kamagong, Barangay Lahug, where police arrested Ferdinand Sedillo, 41, of Barangay Luz, Cebu City; and Rolando Valmoria, 49; and Ariel Sala, 39, both residents of Sitio Kamagong.

Seized from the three were 13 grams of suspected shabu estimated to be worth P89,000, the buy-bust money used in the operation, and P400 believed to be drug money.

In Sitio Riverside, Barangay Hipodromo, the Police Drug Enforcement Group arrested former construction worker Jhon Ariel Delalamon, 25, a resident of the place, for having 400 grams of suspected shabu estimated to be worth P2.7 million.

Those arrested are now detained and set to face charges for possession and sale of illegal drugs. — BRP (FREEMAN)

ILLEGAL DRUGS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with