Cebu News

Cop, sister survive Good Friday ambush in Samboan

Camille L. Pateres - The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines —  A policeman who is accused of being involved in the illegal drug business was injured after he was ambushed on Good Friday while he was on his way home from church in Sitio Pajo, Barangay Poblacion, Samboan town.

The victim is identified as Police Master Sergeant Roy Cavalida, a resident of Barangay Talamban, Cebu City and a native of Samboan.

He is presently assigned at the Regional Operations Division of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.

Cavalida’s older sister, Nanette Cavalida-Deparine, a teacher, was also injured.

According to Police Lieutenant Warlito Toñacao, chief of Samboan Police Station, Cavalida was driving his silver Honda sedan with his three sisters and brother-in-law.

When they were about 200 meters from their house, two men on a motorcycle came by and shot at them.

The gunmen were on a Mio scooter and were wearing face mask and helmet according to the police as relayed to them by witnesses.

From the driver seat, Cavalida crawled to the front passenger seat and escaped.

He ran to the grassy part of the area and fired back using his .9mm service firearm.

Deparine also attempted to get off the car but she was hit in the butt.

The victims were brought to a hospital in Cebu City while the gunmen sped off. 

“We contacted other police stations to conduct road blocking but it’s late.  The gunmen have already escaped,” Toñacao.

The victims are now out of danger.

Cavalida sustained wounds in his left leg and side.

Police recovered 18 empty shells of an M16 rifle and some empty shells of a 9mm handgun.

It was believed that the .9mm shells were from Cavalida’s firearm.

Cavalida left his gun in the area when he was brought to the hospital but another brother-in-law, a retired policeman, later on found it.

The brother-in-law reportedly brought the gun to the hospital and gave it to Cavalida.

Toñacao said they planned to file obstruction of justice against the retired police as he was supposed to turn it over to the police station, not to Cavalida, because it is part of the evidence.

 “We detailed security personnel from the PNP in the hospital.  He does not need to keep his firearm,” Toñacao said.

They gave the retired policeman until yesterday noon to surrender the service firearm and he heeded the call and because of this, Toñacao said, they will no longer pursue the obstruction of justice case. — MBG (FREEMAN)


  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with