Cellphones seized in CPDRC destroyed
Le Phyllis F. Antojado (The Freeman) - March 30, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — A total of 229 cellphones were destroyed by the officials of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center yesterday, after these were confiscated by jail personnel during searches conducted in the jail cells since January.

He said CPDRC personnel usually conduct searches, also called greyhound operations, twice or thrice a week.

William Boco, consultant on jail management of CPDRC, said at least 55 cells out of 119 have been searched from the first months this year up to present.

This includes the cells of the high-profile inmates of the jail facility, like suspected drug lord Alvaro “Barok” Alvaro. However, Boco said nothing was confiscated from Barok's original cell. The high-profile inmate is currently in a separate room after he was found outside, sleeping in cell number 11, even if his official cell is number 1, a month ago.

Boco said, during their recent greyhound operation, no illegal drugs or even drug paraphernalia were confiscated. However, they will still continue their operations in the following weeks.

Currently, the provincial jail has 3,096 inmates from around 4,000 last year.

Boco said since January, at least 500 inmates were already released from the said facility after they availed of the plea bargaining agreement as well as the good conduct time allowance program of CPDRC, which reduces an inmates’ years of imprisonment if he shows good performance inside the jail.

Boco also said another reason why many inmates were released is because of speedy trials. — BRP (FREEMAN)

CPDRC
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with