Reluya has survived an ambush that killed her husband, Ricardo, Alan Bayot, and Ricky Monterona in January this year.
Screengrab
Cebu vote 2019: Reluya covered by escort rule
Mae Clydyl L. Avila (The Freeman) - February 18, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — San Fernando Mayor Lakambini Reluya is not exempt from the two-escort limit for candidates running in this year’s elections.

If she wants more escorts, she would have to apply for an exemption for a special exemption, said Provincial Police Director Manuel Abrugena.

“Kailangan dumaan sa proseso, definitely. Kung meron siyang additional security escort na hindi nagdaan sa saktong proseso, definitely masa-sanction ang pulis natin kung meron (She has to follow the process. The policemen guarding her would be sanctioned if they agreed to escort her without the special exemption),” Abrugena said.

Reluya has survived an ambush that killed her husband, Ricardo, Alan Bayot, and Ricky Monterona in January this year.

Last February 15, the Department of Interior and Local Government told candidates that they are only allowed two police escorts.

DILG Assistant Secretary Jonathan Malaya said in a press conference in Manila that the police will arrest a third security escort.

Abrugena said an application for exemption will be screened by the Commission on Elections, which would then refer documents to the provincial police office for approval.

Aburgena said candidates may request for additional security, which may not be limited to members of the Philippine National Police.

“If an individual feel threatened, and may presence ng immediate threat, they can apply sa COMELEC, not necessarily police… may security agencies din naman that can provide security escorts (If an individual feels threatened, he or she can apply for an exemption with the Comelec. The escort doesn’t have to be a policeman because there are security agencies that can provide the service),” Abrugena said.

No request has reached the provincial police office, so far.    Reluya, Giovanni Perez, and Jefer Tolentin survived the ambush last January 22. They were on board a Toyota Grandia when waylaid by a group of assailants in Talisay City.

The gunmen were identified as notorious drug suspects and gun-for-hire Jerome Labitad and Felix Abacajan Jr. (FREEMAN)

LAKAMBINI RELUYA
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with