DPS acting head John Paul Gelasque told The FREEMAN there is high concentration of trash in Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño area, Metropolitan Cathedral area, Plaza Independencia, Plaza sa Sugbo as well as uptown and Colon Street where there were night markets.
File
Sinulog yields lesser trash this year
Odessa O. Leyson (The Freeman) - January 22, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — While the Sinulog crowd last Sunday nearly doubled as compared to last year, the trash generated dropped by about nine tons.

The Department of Public Services (DPS) collected at least 210.7 tons trash after the Sinulog grand parade.

Record shows that 161 tons of trash was collected in 2017and 219 tons in 2018.

DPS acting head John Paul Gelasque told The FREEMAN there is high concentration of trash in Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño area, Metropolitan Cathedral area, Plaza Independencia, Plaza sa Sugbo as well as uptown and Colon Street where there were night markets.

Most people flocked to the uptown area because of various Sinulog events.

Over 500 workers from DPS were deployed in order to ensure cleanliness of the city during the celebration.

The street cleaners were deployed to conduct cleaning operation from 8 p. m. on Sunday up to 6 a. m. on Monday.

Part of the collected garbage was those from the eco-stations established by the Cebu City Environment and Natural Office (CCENRO).

The 50 eco-stations are found along the Sinulog route, in Plaza Sugbo and in Plaza Independencia.

Tents were set up and there were four garbage receptacles labeled biodegradable, non-biodegradable, residual and special waste.

CCENRO decided to put up eco-stations to lessen the trash thrown to the streets and to educating the public to dispose of their garbage properly.

Record shows that there is at least six tons of trash collected by DPS from the eco-stations.

CCENRO also implemented the anti-littering ordinance. The 220 Barangay Environmental Officers (BEOs) are tasked to issue citation tickets to violators.

Around 40 volunteers from the Environmental Management Bureau-7 (EMB-7) helped the city in enforcing the ordinance.

Under the penalty provision of the anti-littering ordinance, the violators who were given citations will have to pay a fine of P500 to P1, 000 or render a community service.

However, CCENRO head Nida Cabrera said she could not yet give the exact number of violators since BEOs still have to make a report.

Meanwhile, out of the 3,000 registered Sinulog vendors, 20 identification cards (IDs) were confiscated by the Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, and Enhancement (PROBE) team.

Raquel Arce, head of PROBE, said as compared to last year, their operations were improved and vendors followed the rules, except for a few who were apprehended.

Illegal vendors were cooperative in taking down their displays and gave way for registered vendors to take over vacated spaces.

Arce said that the confiscated IDs can be claimed at the Division of the Welfare for the Urban Poor (DWUP) office.

She, however said, these violators must be given a heavier sanction to give them a lesson.

"If dunggon akong suggestion, maayo jud na dili na sila matagaan (violators) og permit for next year's fiesta,” she said. (If they will heed my suggestion, it’s better not to give them permits next year.) — Isabella G. Obor (FREEMAN)

TRASH
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with