Members of the Housing and Urban Development Office demolished the affected housing structures yesterday in Sitios Abrrai and Sapangdaan. There were 60 structures demolished in Sitio Abrrai, while 37 in Sitio Sapangdaan.
Freeman
97 houses demolished to give way to new road
Christell Fatima M. Tudtud (The Freeman) - April 18, 2018 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — At least 97 houses were affected of the access road project undertaken by the Mandaue City government in two sitios in Barangay Alang-Alang.

Members of the Housing and Urban Development Office (HUDO) demolished the affected housing structures yesterday in Sitios Abrrai and Sapangdaan. There were 60 structures demolished in Sitio Abrrai, while 37 in Sitio Sapangdaan.

"Tungod sa atong project karon sa pamunoan sa Mandaue nga mag-abli ta’g bag-ong kalsada,” Cesar Ylanan, head of the demolition team, explained why a demolition has to be done.

Tony Pet Juanico, HUDO chief, said the opening of new road is a city project that has long been approved by the City Council. It was sponsored by the late councilor Diosdado Suico in 2011.

The city government of Mandaue is opening new roads to provide easy access for emergency responders during calamities.

An eight-meter wide road will be opened in Barangay Alang-Alang from D.M. Cortes, near Mount Olives Christian School, up to the United Nations Avenue, beside St. Peter Memorial Chapel. Ylanan said the city gave the affected residents a notice last week after a series of consultation, wherein both parties eventually agreed to demolish the area.

No residents resisted the demolition because they have volunteered to destroy their houses.

"Pag-abot namo diri nalipay ko naghuna-huna nga nag-iyahay na'g guba. Wa tay resistance," Ylanan said.

Venerando Mirabel, head of the Abandon Butuanon River Association, Inc. (ABBRAI), said the affected residents have volunteered to destroy their houses since they are already aware of the city government's plan.

They were given P10,000 financial assistance as well as basic needs like food and water. They are also allowed to temporarily stay on a vacant lot nearby. Some of the affected residents are temporarily staying with their relatives.

Felix Ybañez, one of the ABBRAI board members, also said that house owners can go back to the area but not all of them because most of them have decided to find another place to reside. He said they understand that the road construction will benefit them more because it will give them enough space to react to emergencies.

"Layo nami sa sunog. Kasabot man gyud mi. Bisa’g makuhaan amo balay nalipay mi nga duol nami sa kalsada," Ybañez said.

The city is also planning another demolition in Barangay Subangdaku for a new road access from North Bus Terminal to Subangdaku National High School. —/FPL (FREEMAN)

HOUSES
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with