Mandaue barangays active in anti-drug war
(The Freeman) - March 14, 2018 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Mandaue City Association of Barangay Captains (ABC) president Ernie Manatad has denied claims of Police Regional Office (PRO)-7 that most of the barangays in Mandaue City are inactive in fighting against illegal drugs.

He said that their barangay captains conduct meetings with their respective barangay officials on matters of their campaign against the illegal drug trade, including the peace and order of their area.

"Nahibung mi unsay source sa report. Makakapoy basahon nga despite sa intensified efforts regarding sa anti-drugs, knowing sad sa priority sad sa administration,mao man hinuon na come up na balita, murag nagulantang sad mi ato," he said.

Last Monday, Superintendent Reyman Tolentin, spokesperson of PRO-7, stated that based on the data they obtained from the Regional Intelligence Division (RID), 22 of the 27 barangays failed to conduct a monthly meeting with police officers last January this year while 13 barangays of the city also did not hold meetings in February.

Right after receiving the information yesterday, Manatad immediately verified the report of PRO-7 with the office of the city Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) whose role is to monitor the monthly reports of the barangay.

He stressed that all the 27 barangays conduct regular meetings although others were late in submitting their reports because they prioritized the submission of the inventory of the barangay assets.

In the case of Barangay Subangdaku, where he is the village chief, Manatad said that their meeting was February 27, the submission of the minutes of the meeting was March 5 and the inventory of the barangay assets was March 3.

"Unya kay gipadalidali man sa DILG ang inventory sa mga barangay assets ug submit March 3 ang deadline,  mao nang na-miss pag-submit sa minutes kay tua may mas gipadali. Sa ubang barangays, lain-lain pod og rason kay dili baya mao rana'y trabaho sa secretary sa barangay, daghan pod tawon nga mga minutes ug reports ngaandamon as required by the government," he said.

Aside from the barangay meetings on illegal drugs and peace and order, Manatad said the barangays are also busy on community- rehabilitation programs.

The city has been active in fighting against illegal drugs and Mayor Gabriel Luis Quisumbing himself vowed to get rid of illegal drugs in the city in coordination with the police in line with President  Rodrigo Duterte's anti-drug campaign.

Not active

Meanwhile, less than five barangays in the province of Cebu are said to be not active in the campaign against illegal drugs.

Ivy Durano-Meca head of the Cebu Provincial Anti-drug Abuse Office (CPADAO) describes the barangay officials as "hard headed."

"They don't see the importance of ADACs (Anti-drug Abuse Council)" Meca said.

However, she did not disclose what these barangays are.

Meca made this comment after Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa said that cases should be filed against barangay officials if they fail to make their anti-drug abuse council functional.

In Cebu province, all the 1,066 barangays have organized their respective BADACs, according to Meca.

However, out of those barangays, 70 percent are functioning while the remaining 30 percent are still on phase 1 of strengthening their BADAC.

She also noted that anti-drug programs are also sensitive.

"And you cannot blame them of the fear kay moingon man gud ka anti-drug program ang mosulod sa hunahuna sa mga tawo nga dakop. Not knowing nga naay demand reduction" Meca stated.

The CPADAO has been capacitating and conducting trainings for barangay officials in terms of strengthening the BADAC, especially when it comes to drug clearing operations.

She also said that location and resources are factors why there are BADAC that are not functioning.

Far-flung barangays are usually the ones that are not active.  (FREEMAN)


  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
Login is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with