Over 100 barangay volunteers are yet to get Capitol aid
Kristine B. Quintas (The Freeman) - March 17, 2017 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - More than a hundred barangay volunteers in Daanbantayan, northern Cebu have yet to receive their cash incentives from the provincial government.

The Capitol postponed the cash distribution following the “conflict” that arose during the scheduled distribution last week.  Vice Governor Agnes Magpale said that Governor Hilario Davide III went to Daanbantayan last week supposedly to lead the distribution. However, the Capitol decided to defer it after Mayor Vicente Loot insisted to use the town’s current list of barangay workers.

“Nireklamo si Loot maong wa nadayon. Gusto niya nga ang listing niya maoy hatagan. Ang ato man gud gihatagan kadtong daan basi sa lista nato. This is 2016 list nga mao ang atong gisunod. If naa siya bag-o that is for next year’s distribution. Politika man na,” she said.

“Cancelled tungod anang gubot. Gi-hold usa ni gov until wa pay solution,” she added.

Each barangay tanod will receive P1,500 while barangay health workers, day care workers, barangay nutrition scholars (BNS), barangay animal health aid (BAHA) workers will get P2,400 each.  The province has 26,774 volunteers comprising 1,153 BNS; 8,640 BHWs; 1,486 day care   workers; 482 BAHA; and 15, 013 tanods.

Loot, for his part, clarified that he just want the “deserving” barangay workers be given the cash aid.

“I only requested the governor to give financial aid to whom it is due and not to give it to those who did not render service. I even requested that only half of the benefits be given to the incumbents who served July 1-December 31, 2016 whose lists I already submitted, and the other be given to those personnel hired by the past admin from January 1, 2016 to June 30, 2016.”

“Unlike in the previous admin whose personnel withdraw all the benefits to include that of those who served 1st semester 2013 under the admin of then mayor Malou Loot. I just want benefits given to where it's due para fair,” he said.

He also dismissed reports, which reached Magpale’s office, that he would file a case against the provincial government if it won’t grant his request.

“No, it is disinformation. I'm not going to file a case,” he said.

Loot said Davide assured him already that he will look into the current list.

“He assured me already that he is a fair leader and he will wait for the list I'm going to submit, which I already complied,” he said.

“But if worst comes to worst and the province will not listen to our plea, then I’ll respect or submit to whatever would be the wishes of the aggrieved parties,” he added.

Davide earlier said these volunteers are a big help in implementing the programs of the government down to the household level, especially during calamities and disasters.

The Davide administration has been giving cash incentives every year to barangay "frontliners," with the amount of the honorarium depending on the capacity and on the allocation of the provincial government.

The Provincial Accounting Office reported that from 2013 to 2015 a total of P49,013,200 cash incentives were given to them. (FREEMAN)

100 BARANGAY VOLUNTEERS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with