Amid Sinulog sa Kabataan cancellation: Capitol to still donate for Sinulog festivities
Kristine B. Quintas (The Freeman) - August 15, 2016 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Cebu provincial government would still extend financial assistance to the Sinulog Foundation Inc. despite the cancellation of the Sinulog sa Kabataan-Lalawigan.

The Provincial Board has already authorized Governor Hilario Davide III for the release of P3 million to SFI to defray Sinulog expenses next year.

Last year, the Capitol gave SFI P1.5 million.

The provincial government reportedly still had obligations to the foundation for 2013 and 2014, but Provincial Budget Officer Danilo Rodas said these have been included in the assistance extended in 2015.

The Capitol shelled out P1 million to SFI in 2014, bigger than the P300,000 the province donated in 2013 when Vice Governor Agnes Magpale sat as acting governor. The province donated the said amount even if it was experiencing financial difficulties.

SFI, in its board resolution dated December 29, 2015, requested financial assistance for next year's Sinulog festivities.

The governor earlier granted the request as a way to help the Cebu City government defray the cost of hosting the Sinulog.

Board Member Sun Shimura lobbied for the passage of the resolution last Monday. The board resolution is one of the requirements in giving financial aid based on the Commission on Audit.

According to the PB, the release of the said amount must comply with the pertinent government auditing rules, regulations and procedures, including the submission of necessary documentations.

Rodas said the financial aid will be included in the 2017 annual appropriations under the Office of the Governor.

Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña announced earlier this month that there will be no Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Dakbayan and Lalawigan next year so schools will no longer raise money for the contest.

Osmeña said each contingent is spending as much as P1.5 million for the competition. He also said it can also disturb classes of the elementary and high school students joining the contingents.

The mayor said education must be the priority of schools.

The announcement of the mayor drew mix reactions from the netizens, many of whom expressed their disappointment.

SFI executive director Ricky Ballesteros said the decision will affect the grandiosity of the Grand Parade.

But, Davide and Vice Governor Agnes Magpale earlier said the cancellation will neither affect the Sinulog nor the province since it is only one of the events during Sinulog.

However, people's expectations may be affected, Davide said.

The Sinulog is the most awaited festival in Cebu in honor of the Sto. Niño or the Child Jesus. — (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with