POEA bans deployment of workers to 4 Saudi firms
Mitchelle L. Palaubsanon (The Freeman) - July 29, 2016 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Philippine Overseas Employment Agency has suspended the deployment of workers to four Saudi employers as thousands of Overseas Filipino Workers complained of non-payment of wages.

POEA-7 director Evelyn Dorato said recruitment agencies in Cebu have been advised not to process workers applying for work at the Muhammad Al Mojil Group, Al Bergash Contracting Company, Saudi Bin Laden Group and Saudi Oger Limited.

“We have stopped processing workers to be deployed to these four Saudi employers in order not to aggravate the situation. Kay kung magsigi ta og pada og mga workers didto, mas modaghan na hinoon ang problema. In fact, right now DOLE Secretary Bello is still in Saudi to check the situation,” said Dorato.

Dorato said most of the OFWs working in these companies are construction workers like carpenters, masons and welders.

“Daghan og complaints nga wa sila ge swelduhan for two months naay uban three months. Gi-verify pa nganong wa ni sila gi swelduhan and I don’t think that the lifting of the ban is happening soon,” Dorato said.

She added that those previously employed by the four employers have not been not allowed to go back to work yet.

Saudi Arabia is among the top five destinations of OFWs, Dorato said. (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with