^

6 barangay captains returning city vehicles

Rene U. Borromeo (The Freeman) - June 27, 2016 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The six remaining barangay captains who refused to return their City Hall-issued vehicles have finally decided to return them and are set to turn these over to the General Service Office this morning.

Initially, there were 47 barangay officials who refused to heed the order of acting Cebu City Mayor Margarita "Margot" Osmeña recalling their government-issued vehicles for inventory, but after City Hall filed complaints against them before the Office of the Ombudsman, many of them were compelled to return their vehicles.

Only the six barangay captains, all allied with suspended Mayor Michael Rama, held out.

However, Tinago Barangay Captain Joel Garganera, vice president of the Association of Barangay Councils (ABC), said that while they will return their City Hall-issued vehicles they will continue to raise their arguments that the said vehicles should not be taken from them because these are being used for public service.

The City Legal Office already filed a case for violation of Article 221 of the Revised Penal Code before the City Prosecutors' Office against seven barangay captains for not returning their City Hall-issued vehicles.

Named in the complaints are Apas Barangay Captain Ramil Ayuman who failed to return two vehicles, Tisa Barangay Captain Philip Zafra (three vehicles), Tagbao Barangay Captain Ana Tabal (two vehicles), Buot Barangay Captain Rosalina Calino (two vehicles), Basak-Pardo Barangay Captain Yolandito Cagang (one vehicle), Sambag 1 Barangay Captain Lemar Alcover (one vehicle), and also Garganera, who failed to return two vehicles.

Alcover returned his Toyota Hilux to the city last week.

The seven barangay captains have been required by the City Prosecutors' Office to submit their counter affidavits.

Osmeña welcomed the move of the six barangay captains although there is no assurance that the same vehicles will be assigned back to their barangays.

It was learned that 15 of the vehicles recalled from the barangays will be issued to the Mobile Patrol Group while seven other vehicles are to be also assigned as patrol vehicles of the Cebu City Transportation Office. (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with