Sure of two suspects’ identities: ‘Gang-rape’ victim recounts ordeal

Ma. Fatima R. Secuya/RHM (The Freeman) - October 8, 2015 - 10:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The 21-year-old woman who was allegedly gang-raped by three men in Barangay Sambag 2, Cebu City broke her silence to answer netizens who commented negatively on her being “drunk” inside a bar that lead to her bad experience.

The woman, who suffered bruises and cuts to different parts of her body, faced the media yesterday to clarify that she did not drink too much alcohol that time, and narrated what really happened.

She said that Sunday night, she and her girl cousin and friends, had a drinking spree at a club along General Maxilom Avenue.

She said while they were in the middle of their drinking session, a man in his 20s who was later identified as a Hotel and Restaurant Management student in one of the universities of Cebu, approached to allegedly get acquainted with her.

The woman said she declined since she does not usually get comfortable with strangers. She said felt the urge to go to the rest room so she excused herself from her drinking companions.

She said that before she could get inside the comfort room, someone from among those in the suspect’s group allegedly offered her a drink.

The woman said she first refused to take the drink but the man managed to convince her by telling her that she should at least do it as a sign of mutual respect.

“Nakainom ko pero di ko hubog kay kato ako ig-agaw, mag-inom to siya, maghubog gyud to unya ako mag-agak niya. Nagbilin gyud ko og kabuot sa akong kauga-lingon. Di gyud ko hubog,” she said.

The woman said that after downing the proffered drink, she felt uncomfortable and dizzy and seemed not to hear any sound anymore, so she immediately went inside the comfort room.

She said that when he went out of the comfort room, one of the suspects was outside waiting for her. The man then took her right hand and told her to go with him somewhere.

The woman said she tried to resist but she was punched in the abdomen and went unconscious.

When she momentarily regained her consciousness, she noticed she was already inside a taxi but she said she fell unconscious again.

She said that the next time she awakened she was already inside a room and three men took turns in sexually abusing her.

The woman said she was certain that the last person who abused her was  Peter Bendanillo, the caretaker of the place, which turned out to be a boarding house.

Bendanillo, she said, was also the one who threw her out of the compound when she did not have yet her lower undergarments.

“Mao to nangayo ko og tabang niya (Bendanillo) pero gilabay ra ngadto sa gawas sa boarding house nga mura’g iro. Sige ra sila og katawa kay boang ra daw ko,” said the woman as she burst into tears.

She said she also asked help from passersby but they only allegedly laughed at her. She said even a taxi driver told her she was crazy.

The woman said she was very thankful to two gays who approached and clothed her. The two were also the ones who called the Sambag II Barangay Hall, so she could be rescued and brought home.

When policemen conducted the hot pursuit operation last Monday morning, they were only able to arrest Bendanillo but not the HRM student, who was reportedly the one who brought her to the boarding house, as he was not there anymore.

Bendanillo, who was detained at the Fuente Police Station, denied all allegations and said that the woman was not in the right frame of mind yet when she pointed at him as one of her molesters.

The woman, however, said yesterday that she was sure of Bendanillo and of the HRM student, but not of the third person since she was still very dazed when he abused her.

She said, though, that she remembered the voice of the man and could recognize him if she could hear him speak again.

“Ganahan nako sila mapriso, pero bisan mapriso sila, kuwang pa na tungod sa ilang gibuhat nako nga mura ko nila og gibaboy,” she said.

She said she hoped their conscience would get the better of Bendanillo and of the HRM student for them to own up the crime.

The woman’s aunt also expressed her disappointment at those whom her niece had requested for help but instead laughed at her and called her insane.

“Kung sa inyo kuno mahitabo na bi? Di gyud baya lalim,” the aunt said while also in tears.

She thanked the two gays who helped her niece, saying that without them could worse have happened to the victim.

Last Wednesday afternoon, the police filed a rape complaint against Bendanillo, the HRM student, and the still to be identified man.

“Adto na lang gyud sa husgado. Di gyud namo ni iatras,” said the woman’s aunt.  (FREEMAN)

  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with