Fire razes at least 50 houses in Labogon, Mandaue

(The Freeman) - September 19, 2015 - 10:00am

CEBU, Philippines - At least 50 houses were razed by a fire that hit a government lot occupied by informal settlers in Barangay Labogon, Mandaue City late Friday night.

No one was injured in the incident but Senior Fire Officer 2 Cipriano Codilla, Jr. said the fire spread quickly to the houses, which were made of light materials.

The fire was reportedly caused by a ceiling fan that overheated at the house owned by Melicio Lagrada, 38, in Sitio Lapyahan.

“Kagabii, nagpabilin pa tong mga molupyo kay nangolekta og mga sin para mabaligya kay wala man sila’y nahipos. Kalit man kaayo ang kayo,” Codilla said.

Firefighters received the alarm at 10:14 p.m. and controlled the fire about one hour later. The fire was put out totally at midnight and firefighters pegged the damage at P500,000.

Firemen from barangays Tipolo and Tabok in Mandaue City, Cebu City, Consolacion, Filipino-Chinese Volunteers Fire Brigade, and San Carlos Fire Brigade helped put the fire out.

Felix Suico, head of the Mandaue City Risk Reduction Management Council, said the city has provided the victims used clothing and food.

Some of the affected residents are staying at the basketball court across the area where the fire broke out while the others are staying at the Labogon Elementary School, Suico said.

Roger Paller of the city’s Public Information Office said about 200 individuals were affected. —/JMO (FREEMAN)

BARANGAY LABOGON CEBU CITY FELIX SUICO FILIPINO-CHINESE VOLUNTEERS FIRE BRIGADE FIRE LABOGON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MANDAUE MANDAUE CITY MANDAUE CITY RISK REDUCTION MANAGEMENT COUNCIL MELICIO LAGRADA PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE ROGER PALLER
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with