“Food poisoning” in school: Masi downs 11 Hipodromo pupils
(The Freeman) - August 12, 2015 - 10:00am

CEBU, Philippines - At least 11 students of Hipodromo Elementary School in Barangay Hipodromo, Cebu City were brought to the Cebu City Medical Center for alleged food poisoning yesterday.

Hipodromo Elementary School Principal Romeo Lisondra said all victims, ages six to 12, have one thing in common: they consumed masi or sweets made of sticky rice formed into balls mixed with peanuts or and/or puto or steamed rice cake inside the school.  The patients were brought to the hospital after they reportedly suffered stomach pain, dizziness, and vomiting.

Lisondra said 10 of the victims were elementary students while one was a kindergarten pupil. He said he has not yet received any report that there are students who were brought to other hospitals.

“First time pa gyud ni. Ang isa ka teacher nag-consign sa among canteen og masi unya kinompra sa Carbon market. 

Among gi-interview ang mga bata, puto seko ug masi ilang nakaon.  Ang puto seko sa gawas napalit,” he told The FREEMAN.

Lisondra said the teacher allegedly not ask his permission to bring in the delicacies and sell them at the school canteen.

“Lain iyang gi-consign, candy unta to. Dapat, mananghid unta sa principal pero seminar man pud ko ganina (yesterday) unya mao siguro nakadiritso og tinda og masi,” he said, adding that he ordered that selling of the suspected product should be stopped.

He said the school shouldered the hospital and medicine expenses of the students.

“Among i-charge lang sa teacher kun masayran na nato nga tungod gyud sa iyang produkto ang nahitabo,” he said.  Parent Seledenio Putot said that his grade six son consumed masi early in the morning and was vomiting in the afternoon.

He said his son is already in good condition after being treated, and thanked the school and the hospital for immediately attending to his son.

Johnrey Sab, uncle of one of the patients, said he was bothered seeing his niece retching, which was why he decided to bring her to the hospital for medication.  Sab said he has not asked his niece yet what she ate the whole day that could have triggered the vomiting.

Senior Resident Pediatrician Coleen Intong said at six students were treated in CCMC at 4 p.m. and another four were brought to the hospital at 6 p.m.

At 8:30 p.m., Lisondra confirmed that a kindergarten student was brought at the same hospital also for alleged food poisoning.  Intong confirmed that the patients were poisoned, but she could not confirm yet as to the exact nature of the poison.

“Naay ubang students nga ganinang buntag nagkaon og masi pero sa hapon na nagsuka. So, dili ta ka sure nga masi gyud. Maayo unta to kun wala nay laing nakaon,” she added.

Intong said they will forward samples of the delicacies that may have caused the incident to the Food and Drug Administration for laboratory examination.

As of 7:30 p.m. yesterday, Intong said only three students were left dehydrated. She said these three were given intravenous fluid, while the others were given pedialyte and oresol for rehydration. —(FREEMAN)

ACIRC ANG BARANGAY HIPODROMO CEBU CITY CEBU CITY MEDICAL CENTER DRUG ADMINISTRATION HIPODROMO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL HIPODROMO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL ROMEO LISONDRA INTONG JOHNREY SAB LISONDRA
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with