'Dead Kids' star gets TV break with GMA's 'First Yaya'
STAR CIRCUIT - Ricky Calderon (The Freeman) - May 22, 2020 - 12:00am

From playing support roles in GMA shows,18-year-old actor Kelvin Miranda got the chance to play the lead as Mark Sta. Maria in the critically-acclaimed thriller film “Dead Kids” directed by noted filmmaker Mikhail Red.

Kelvin gave a good account of himself in the film which also starred Vance Larena and Kahlil Ramos. All of them got positive reviews for acting but an added boost for Kelvin was winning Best Actor at the Urduja Film Festival last year.

He started his showbiz career some two years ago. After waiting in the wings, he got a break when he was offered a contract by GMA. Who would pass on such an opportunity to be part of a major TV network?

Kelvin is determined to make good in showbiz and get that big break that neophytes like him are looking for. While he had to pass through the proverbial eye of the needle before getting noticed, he didn’t mind. That made him more fired up to achieve his goal.

He didn’t mind the rigors of going through an audition, making a beeline before getting his chance for a go-see. “That makes one more driven because you’ve gone through a lot. Of many who tried, you were among those chosen,” said Kelvin.

The network is building him up as a future leading man and his handlers are keeping their fingers crossed that with the right push, he is on his way to more exciting career opportunities.

Kelvin will soon be seen in the upcoming TV series titled "First Yaya" starring Gabby Concepcion and Marian Rivera. He will be paired with Cassy Legaspi, the presidential daughter, with Marian as the First Yaya. But with the lockdown, Kelvin and Cassy are still awaiting word when they will finally tape for the show that will be a primetime offering of GMA.

* * *

Actor-turned-politician Alfred Vargas is kept busy monitoring the activities in the fifth district of Quezon City where he is incumbent congressman.

He has been extending help to his constituents and he has 24-hour monitoring of his district. Since March 17, he has been sending help using his personal resources plus donations from friends and other sources.

The actor said he had been receiving 800 messages a day with different concerns and majority of these come from people hoping to get help like relief goods. Alfred said he can’t possibly reply to all the messages but he does try to read them all if he can.

On the movie front, Alfred is waiting for updates if the planned Summer Metro Manila Film Festival is pushing through. Before the lockdown, it was already announced that "Tagpuan," the film he did with Iza Calzado and Shaina Magdayao, made it as an official entry.

“We still don’t know yet what will be the decision of the MMDA – are they pushing through with the festival or not? But of course we understand that we ought to think of safety first of the audience,” said Alfred in a phone interview.

“That should be our first concern. But I am confident and hopeful that the movies will still be eventually shown in cinemas. If not this year, probably next year. We have a good line-up of movies and I believe the audience will be looking forward to going back to cinemas soon.”

KELVIN MIRANDA
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with