^

NCR Plus in MECQ: Still no go for PBA

Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) - April 12, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — From the strictest level, the government has downgraded the National Capital Region and adjacent provinces to modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) classification yesterday.

But still it won’t be enough for the PBA to resume all forms of activities, especially its planned Season 46 opening.

“We can only play in MGCQ (modified general community quarantine),” league commissioner Willie Marcial told The STAR, referring to the lowest among the levels of quarantine.

The PBA managed to hold its Philippine Cup last year in a bubble setup in Clark, an area under MGCQ.

For the coming season, the pro league is eyeing to do a closed-circuit arrangement for two conferences. The targeted tipoff in Antipolo, which is part of the NCR-Plus bubble placed in MECQ until end of the month, is definitely off.

“We have to go two levels down (to MGCQ to proceed),” said the league exec.

Marcial believes the league’s chances of kicking off action will be greatly boosted by the vaccine rollout.

“Once we have vaccinated all the teams, most likely it will be a go for us. So vaccine will be key,” he said.

The PBA has tied up with Red Cross for the jabs and is also expecting doses to be donated by PLDT chairman Manny V. Pangilinan.

The board of governors will meet within the week to discuss adjustments on the PBA’s disrupted programs for 2021.

MECQ PBA
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with