Bambol seeks second term as POC chief
Abraham Tolentino
STAR/File
Bambol seeks second term as POC chief
Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) - September 23, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Tagaytay City Rep. Abraham Tolentino yesterday declared that he is seeking a second term as president of the Philippine Oympic Committee (POC).

“Definitely I will run for president,” Tolentino told the online version of the PSA Forum.

The cycling chief also announced that his ticket is fielding Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Al Panlilio as candidate for first vice president, and Ormoc City Mayor and fencing chief Richard Gomez for second vice president.

The POC elections will take place on Nov. 27. The venue has yet to be chosen.

Tolentino, who became POC chief after last year’s special elections, said any qualified NSA (national sports association) official may seek the presidency and the other posts to be disputed in the next elections.

“We’re all free to run and aspire for that position... if they want to give contributions to Philippine sports,” he said.

“Well and good if there are other candidates so there’s a choice. The more, the merrier,” said Tolentino, seeking a full four-year term.

Clint Aranas of archery will challenge Tolentino for the POC top post, which became vacant when boxing chief Ricky Vargas stepped down last year.

ABRAHAM TOLENTINO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with