Ed Picson
Philippines in the mix for new boxingqualifier host
Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) - January 25, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine team and other participating countries worried over the deadly outbreak can now heave a sigh of relief as the International Olympic Committee Boxing Task Force, which organizes the Asia Oceania Olympic qualifier, decided to move the event entirely out of China.

Just a day after it cancelled the event initially slated Feb. 3 to 14 in Wuhan, the BTF headed by world gymnastics president Morinari Watanabe reset it to March 3 to 11 in another country.

“The boxing qualifying event has now been rescheduled, and is planned to take place between March 3 to 11. The BTF is currently exploring alternative locations outside the People’s Republic of China and will immediately inform the National Olympic Committees, National Federations and officials as soon as a new host is appointed,” said Watanabe in a statement.

With this development, the Association of Boxing Alliances in the Philippines is to pursue a bid to gain the hosting rights.

“That letter we sent previously was official. We will, however, write to follow up our request for guidelines for hosting,” said ABAP secretary-general Ed Picson.

Picson said being host is critical since the “homecourt edge” will surely boost the country’s chances of qualifying an athlete or two to the Tokyo Games set this July.

To date, the country has qualified two athletes in world champion gymnast Caloy Yulo and pole-vaulter EJ Obiena.

ED PICSON
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with