IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas (right) and trainer/manager Joven Jimenez in Las Vegas for Sen. Manny Pacquiao’s recent fight against Keith Thurman.
Jerwin Ancajas to be feted in donning rites
Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) - August 15, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas will take a break from camp at the Naval Education and Training Command base in San Antonio, Zambales, to be honored in donning rites formalizing his promotion to Senior Chief Petty Officer at the Philippine Navy Headquarters on Roxas Boulevard this Monday morning.

Ancajas set up camp in Zambales last week to prepare for his eighth title defense in October. His trainer/manager Joven Jimenez brought in a platoon of sparmates for Ancajas whose next opponent is still undetermined. The sparmates are Abu Dhabi-based Pakistani superlightweight Usman Wazeer, unbeaten Bukidnon superlightweight Daniel Lim, unbeaten Bukidnon lightflyweight Angelo Beltran, Zamboanga del Sur flyweight John Mark Alimane and rookies George Nuez of Iligan and Alexis Abillar of Taguig.

Jimenez said Ancajas’ opponent could be No. 14 contender Miguel Gonzalez of Chile. An attempt was made to sign up former WBC superflyweight titlist Carlos Cuadras but the 30-year-old Mexican has moved to the bantamweight division and isn’t inclined to drop back down to 115. Another option is No. 3 contender Alexandru Marin, a Romanian based in Maryland. Marin, 27, has an 18-0 record, with 11 KOs. Last September, Marin beat Filipino Bruno Escalante on a split 10-round decision in Inglewood.

The No. 1 and No. 2 slots are vacant in the IBF’s latest superflyweight rankings. Marin is listed No. 3, Donnie Nietes No. 4, Japan’s Sho Ishida No. 5, Australia’s Andrew Moloney No. 6, Japan’s Koki Eto No. 7, Mexico’s Israel Gonzalez No. 8, South Africa’s Yanga Sigqibo No. 9 and Japan’s Ryuichi Funai No. 10. Gonzalez and Funai were among the seven challengers whom Ancajas has disposed of so far.

“Umayaw si Cuadras at ang inaayos ngayon ni Sir Sean ay si (Miguel) Gonzalez,” said Jimenez, referring to MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons who’s burning the lines to firm up Ancajas’ next challenger. Gonzalez, 30, totes a 30-2 record, with 7 KOs, and has fought only once outside of Chile, losing on points to Paul Butler in England in 2013. Last March, Gonzalez was stopped by Moloney in a WBA title eliminator but bounced back to halt Hector Gusman in the fourth round four months later.

Gibbons said the ultimate goal is to arrange a unification showdown between Ancajas and WBC superflyweight beltholder Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico. Estrada, however, isn’t readily available as he’s booked to face 34-year-old Dewayne Beamon of North Carolina in Hermosillo, Mexico, on Aug. 24 then he plans to meet WBA ruler Khalid Yafai late this year. If ever, Ancajas and Estrada could slug it out in the first quarter next year.

Ancajas will receive his pin certifying his new rank from Flag Officer in Command Vice Admiral Robert Empedrad at the donning ceremonies. He was formerly Chief Petty Officer. Jimenez said Empedrad and Ancajas will deliver remarks during the program. Several guests, including Gibbons, are expected to attend.

BOXING JERWIN ANCAJAS PHILIPPINE NAVY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with