^

Nation

Cop faces ax over P6.7 billion shabu

Emmanuel Tupas - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — The Internal Affairs Service (IAS) of the Philippine National Police (PNP) has recommended the dismissal of S/Sgt. Rodolfo Mayo Jr., the anti-narcotics officer whose arrest in October last year resulted in the confiscation of 990 kilos of shabu valued at P6.7 billion.

Police Inspector General Alfegar Triambulo submitted to the PNP Directorate for Personnel and Records Management a resolution recommending Mayo’s dismissal from the service.

Triambulo said IAS probers found Mayo guilty of grave misconduct after an alleged accomplice, Ney Atadero, was caught in possession of about two kilos of shabu during a sting in Manila on Oct. 8, 2022.

Atadero’s arrest led to the discovery of a lending firm owned by Mayo where the drugs were discovered.

The arrest of Mayo, formerly an operative of the Drug Enforcement Group, led Interior and Local Government Secretary Benhur Abalos to ask for the courtesy resignation of high-ranking police officials.

Asked if Mayo submitted a counter-affidavit refuting the allegations against him, Triambulo said the policeman opted to remain silent.

“Pinatawag namin siya sa investigation. Wala siyang sinasabi. Tapos sa pre-charge hindi siya nag-submit ng counter-affidavit,” Triambulo told The STAR.

“Sumipot din siya pero wala siyang sinabi, tapos wala din siyang position paper,” he added.

If PNP chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin approves the IAS recommendation, Mayo would be stripped of his benefits and would be barred from holding any position in government.

SHABU

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with