^

Nation

2 more Filipinos in New York attacked

Pia Lee-Brago - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — Two Filipinos are the latest victims in a string of unprovoked attacks in New York City, the Philippine consulate general reported yesterday.

“We condemn in the strongest terms the attacks against members of the Filipino community in New York. Two more of our citizens have been added to the growing list of victims of the senseless violence that has left many Filipinos in fear,” the consulate said in a statement.

On Sunday, a 73-year-old Filipino was assaulted by a homeless man while on his way to church between 8th Avenue and 40th street in Manhattan.

A 53-year-old Filipino was beaten unconscious and robbed by another man at a store on 7th Avenue near 34th street on Monday.

The consulate said the assaults, which followed the brutal attack against a 67-year-old Filipina in Yonkers, New York, brought to 34 the number of anti-Asian hate incidents and violence involving Filipinos since last year.

Filipinos in New York were reminded to take precautions while in public places.

NEW YORK

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with