^

Nation

Vico Sotto catches virus

Neil Jayson Servallos - The Philippine Star
Vico Sotto catches virus
File photo of Pasig Mayor Vico Sotto
The STAR / Michael Varcas

MANILA, Philippines — Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto has tested positive for COVID-19.

“I have contracted COVID-19. I have sore throat, fever and body pains, but please don’t worry,” Sotto said in a statement on Saturday night.

He said he would be under quarantine for seven days, but would continue to perform his executive duties remotely.

Sotto urged the public to be careful, noting health experts’ opinion that getting exposed to the Omicron variant would be “inevitable.”

“I have had a lot of close calls during the Delta surge last year but I was not infected. The spread of the Omicron variant is inevitable. According to some experts, all of us would be exposed to this variant,” he said.

“That’s why we should all be careful, boost our resistance and be responsible. If you have symptoms, don’t head outdoors,” Sotto added.

Año returns to work

Meanwhile, Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año, who had contracted COVID-19 for the third time, will be returning to work today.

Año announced on Jan. 11 that he tested positive for COVID-19.

“I will be back tomorrow. I will undergo a swab test tomorrow morning. I’m really fine, I only have very mild symptoms,” Año told The STAR yesterday.

Año, vice chairman of the National Task Force Against COVID-19, was among the first Cabinet members to be infected with COVID-19.

He first tested positive for the virus in March 2020.

Año was infected for the second time in August 2020.

COVID-19

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with