^

Nation

2 Makati hospitals now COVID-19-free

Neil Jayson Servallos - The Philippine Star
2 Makati hospitals now COVID-19-free
This Dec. 18, 2019 photo shows Makati Medical Center, which earlier declared full capacity after handling 700 patients suspected to have the new coronavirus.
The STAR / Miguel de Guzman, File

MANILA, Philippines — The Makati Medical Center (MMC) and Ospital ng Makati (OsMak) have zero COVID-19 patients, the city government reported yesterday.

Mayor Abby Binay said the city-run OsMak has not recorded new COVID-19 cases since Nov. 24.

“Earlier this month, we had 54 patients with COVID-like symptoms at OsMak,” Binay said. “They all tested negative for the virus after undergoing RT-PCR tests. Therefore, we have zero COVID cases at OsMak.”

Binay said a 75-year-old man was the last person to be admitted at OsMak on Nov. 24. The patient died on Dec. 3.

The MMC management also confirmed that it has not accepted new COVID-19 patients in the past weeks.

Makati has been classified as low risk, with 31 active COVID cases, zero death and a lone recovery based on a report by the city health department.

Binay attributed the improved COVID situation to the city’s high vaccination rate, availability of RT-PCR tests, effective surveillance and prompt isolation of suspected COVID-19 patients as well as the strict implementation of health protocols.

She reminded the public not to be complacent amid the threat posed by the Omicron variant.

Makati has vaccinated 439,185 residents or more than 70 percent of the city’s population of 624,560.

MMC
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with