^

Nation

OCTA: Cebu, Cavite low risk for COVID-19

Janvic Mateo - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — Citing improving indicators such as healthcare utilization and new infections, Cebu City and Cavite may now be considered at low risk for COVID-19, according to a member of the OCTA Research Group.

OCTA fellow Guido David said Cebu City and Cavite recorded an average of 34 and 429 daily new cases, respectively, from Oct. 8 to 14, which were ”significantly lower” compared to last month.

The reproduction number – or the number of people that a COVID-positive person can infect – dropped to 0.46 in Cebu City and 0.56 in Cavite.

Hospital bed utilization rates in both areas are on the safe level. Intensive care unit capacity is at 38 percent in Cebu City and 66 percent in Cavite.

The positivity rate, or the number of positive cases out of the total tests conducted, is seven percent in Cebu City and eight percent in Cavite. The ideal positivity rate is five percent.

David said Metro Manila, Davao City, Batangas, Bulacan, Laguna, Pampanga and Rizal remain at moderate risk for infections.

He said Metro Manila recorded an average of 1,820 daily new cases; Rizal, 302; Laguna, 285; Bulacan, 250; Batangas, 202; Pampanga, 181, and Davao City, 163.

GCQ in La Union capital, 11 towns

Meanwhile, in La Union, Gov. Francisco Emmanuel Ortega III issued an executive order placing San Fernando City as well as Agoo, Aringay, Bacnotan, Bagulin, Balaoan, Bauang, Burgos, San Gabriel, San Juan, Sto. Tomas and Supiden towns under general community quarantine (GCQ) from Oct. 15 to 31.

Bangar, Caba, Luna, Naguilian, Pugo, Rosario, Santol and Tubao are under modified GCQ.

From Oct. 1 to 14, San Fernando, Agoo, Balaoan, Bauang and Supiden were under the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine while Aringay, Bacnotan, Bagulin, Bangar, Burgos, Caba, Luna, Pugo, San Juan and Sto. Tomas were under GCQ.

Ortega said La Union is now at moderate risk for COVID-19 with 4,257 active cases as of Oct. 13.

In Butuan, the Caraga regional task force against COVID-19 did not recommend the downgrading of the quarantine classification despite a decline in the number of new cases.

The city remains under GCQ with heightened restrictions until Oct. 31, city governmment spokesperson Michiko de Jesus said.

Butuan logged 23 new cases on Thursday, bringing the active infections to 589.— Eva Visperas, Ben Serrano

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with