^

Nation

NBI to probe South Cotabato lawyer’s slay

Evelyn Macairan - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — Justice Secretary Menardo Geuvarra ordered yesterday the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to probe the killing of human rights lawyer Juan Macababbad in South Cotabato last week.

In a department order dated Sept. 20, Guevarra directed NBI officer-in-charge Eric Distor to dispatch investigators to gather evidence and file the appropriate charges against those responsible for Macababbad’s murder.

Guevarra gave the NBI 10 days to submit its initial report and five periodic reports on the progress of its investigation.

Macababbad was shot in front of his house in Barangay Poblacion in Surallah town. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was declared dead on arrival in a hospital.

The Union of People’s Lawyers in Mindanao (UPLM) said Macababbad was the 58th lawyer killed during the Duterte administration.

UPLM chairman Antonio Azarcon said the victim had previously received death threats.

NBI
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with