^

Caloocan resort shut down for violating COVID-19 protocols

Marc Jayson Cayabyab (The Philippine Star) - May 10, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — A popular resort in Caloocan City was ordered closed yesterday for violating COVID-19 health protocols set by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) for areas under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

Mayor Oscar Malapitan said he ordered the closure of the Gubat sa Ciudad resort in Barangay 171, Bagumbong after photos taken by The STAR photographer Boy Santos showed that dozens of people were swimming in the resort without face masks and without complying with social distancing measures.

Resort goers also posted on social media their photos and videos showing them celebrating over liquor, food and karaoke.

Leisure establishments such as resorts and theme parks are not allowed to operate under MECQ, according to the IATF.

The business license of the resort would be revoked, Malapitan said.

He said the city government would file charges against the owners of the resort for violating quarantine guidelines.

City hall will also subject the resort employees to swab testing following the incident, Malapitan said.

In Malabon, a private resort in Barangay Maysilo was shut down last week for hosting a baptismal party amid the ban on mass gatherings.

IATF MECQ
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with