^

Navotas reports COVID-19 case surge

Ghio Ong (The Philippine Star) - February 28, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Navotas City has reported an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases and Mayor Toby Tiangco blamed it on community transmission.

Out of 2,356 people, including city hall employees, who underwent swab tests from Feb. 20 to 25, 209 tested positive, Tiangco said in a video message on Friday.

Eighty-three of the 209 COVID-positive patients are city hall employees who did not show symptoms while 73 are close contacts. Fifty-three are walk-in patients or those who decided to have themselves tested for various reasons, Tiangco said.

Transmission of COVID-19 could have happened within the families of the patients or within their communities, and not inside the city hall, Tiangco argued.

“The colleagues of our city hall employees who have COVID-19 turned out to be negative, so we do not see COVID-19 transmission inside the city hall,” he said.

He reminded residents to continue observing health and safety measures like staying indoors, wearing a face mask, physical distancing and frequent handwashing.

He previously ordered the city hall closed until today and the Navotas Centennial Park locked until further notice.

The city government has recorded a total of 6,054 total COVID-19 cases as of Friday, with 5,543 recoveries, 192 deaths and 319 active cases or patients currently being treated or isolated.

Ninety-eight more active cases were added to the tally last Friday, the highest number of active cases in a day this year, Tiangco said.

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with