Place Tuguegarao under MECQ anew, IATF asked

Raymund Catindig (The Philippine Star) - November 25, 2020 - 12:00am

TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines — Cagayan Gov. Manuel Mamba wants this city to revert to modified enhanced community quarantine or MECQ for 30 days amid a spike in coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 cases.

Mamba said a month of stricter community quarantine could help stop the surge in cases.

He said he and Mayor Jefferson Soriano agreed to seek the approval of the Regional Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases or IATF.

The city was placed under MECQ for 10 days in August and for 15 days last month.

Mamba lamented the increase in confirmed cases even before the city was hit by recent typhoons.

Tuguegarao City accounts for 116 of the 147 active cases in the province.

Mamba noted that the swab test results of 3,500 residents, mostly flood evacuees, are expected to be released this week.

He said authorities expect that at least 300 could be found positive for the virus, citing violations of health protocols, such as physical distancing, wearing of face mask and washing of hands, in evacuation centers as well as during rescue operations and humanitarian relief missions.

This city is among the areas in Cagayan hardest hit by massive flooding due to Typhoon Ulysses.

Mamba said barangay officials should reserve at least two isolation centers for asymptomatic patients.

The city has an isolation facility being maintained by the Department of Health, which can accommodate 60 patients. – Emmanuel Tupas

MECQ
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with