2 Cebu mine firms suspended over dolomite extraction
Rhodina Villanueva (The Philippine Star) - September 26, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The operations of two mining firms involved in dolomite extraction in Alcoy, Cebu have been suspended.

Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu said an investigation into the environmental impact of the operations of Dolomite Mining Corp., which is engaged in quarrying, and Philippine Mining Service Corp., a processing plant for dolomite, would be conducted.

”We have to suspend all operations as an investigation is ongoing,” Cimatu, who inspected the site yesterday, said.

He directed the Environmental Management Bureau and Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) to conduct water and air quality monitoring and coral reef assessment as well as check other possible violations of environmental laws, rules and regulations.

Cimatu also ordered the MGB to convene the Cebu Provincial Mining Regulatory Board to discuss mining-related issues.

Environmental groups said corals were destroyed by heavy siltation due to the movement of crushed dolomite for Manila Bay’s rehabilitation project.

“After the investigation... at may violation, we will proceed with the suspension of the companies,” Cimatu said.

Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia had earlier issued an executive order to stop further extraction, processing, sale and transport of dolomite, associated mineral deposits and other quarry resources from Alcoy.

ROY CIMATU
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with