Pinoys hurt in Beirut blast jumps to 61
Mayen Jaymalin (The Philippine Star) - August 14, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The number of Filipinos injured in a powerful explosion in Beirut, Lebanon has climbed to 61, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) announced yesterday.

Citing a report from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello said five of the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are still confined in hospitals.

The POLO provided assistance to 28 OFWs affected by the bombing, Bello said.

Earlier, the DOLE announced that the remains of four OFWs killed in the blast are scheduled to arrive in Manila on Aug. 16.

Three of the fatalities were identified as Ardel Maglangit, Perlita Mendoza and Milagros Sumaulob. The identity of the fourth fatality remains unknown.

Two other OFWs remain missing, according to the labor department.

Thirteen Filipino seafarers who were previously reported missing after the explosison are returning home next week.

The DOLE said the families of the fatalities and the seafarers would receive cash benefits from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration.

DOLE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with