12 Quezon, Pangasinan villages on lockdown
Michelle Zoleta (The Philippine Star) - August 13, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Eleven barangays in Mauban town in Quezon were placed on lockdown starting yesterday following an increase in coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 cases.

The municipal inter-agency task force (IATF) on COVID-19 agreed during a meeting on Tuesday to impose the lockdown until Aug. 19 in Barangays Polo, Bagong Bayan and Daungan, which were declared critical zones, as well as in Barangays Sadsaran, Mabato, Rizaliana, Lual Poblacion, Lual Barrio, Soledad, Santol and San Lorenzo, which were declared containment zones.

The municipal health department said it would conduct contact tracing and swab testing during the lockdown.

The Quezon public information office recorded 568 cases in the province, 57 of them in Mauban, as of Tuesday.

In Pangasinan, Mayor Liseldo Calugay of Sual town placed Sitio Bagatan in Barangay Calombuyan on lockdown starting Monday after three cases were recorded in the area.

The Negros Occidental provincial capitol was also closed for five days starting yesterday due to a spike in confirmed cases.

Provincial administrator Rayfrando Diaz said three more capitol employees tested positive for the virus, bringing the total to eight, three of them doctors.

The Bacolod city hall had been earlier placed on lockdown after two employees died of COVID-19.

In Leyte, Mayor Saturnino Medina Jr. of Isabel town ordered the suspension of work at the municipal hall to pave the way for disinfection.

Meanwhile, in Quirino, the first confirmed case reported on Tuesday was said to be a househelper of Gov. Dakila Cua.

In a post on Facebook yesterday, Cua said he has no idea how their 24-year-old househelper contracted the virus, noting that she has not left their place since March.

In Ilagan City in Isabela, three people exposed to Mayor Jose Marie Diaz and his family tested positive for the virus.

The number of confirmed cases in Cagayan Valley breached 500 yesterday, with 80 added to the list.

In Batangas, Mayor Eric Africa of Lipa said the local IATF denied their request for a lockdown.

Africa said he ordered the removal of road blocks in compliance with the IATF directive.

He said there are 18 entry and exit points in the city, but there are not enough police personnel to man them.

As this developed, Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong ordered swab testing not only for bank employees but also for grocery and department store workers.

Magalong’s move was in response to a reported clustering of cases in one of the grocery stores in the city where 14 of the 64 employees were infected.

Baguio has 69 cases with five deaths. – Raymund Catindig, Gilbert Bayoran, Artemio Dumlao, Arnell Ozaeta, Miriam Desacada

COVID-19 LOCKDOWN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with