“I am strictly following the quarantine protocols of the Department of Health. The city’s Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (ESU) has conducted contact tracing,”Mayor Joy Belmonte said yesterday.
The STAR/Felicer Santos, file
Belmonte positive for COVID
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - July 9, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte went on self-quarantine after she tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

“I am strictly following the quarantine protocols of the Department of Health. The city’s Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (ESU) has conducted contact tracing,” Belmonte said yesterday.

Belmonte said she has no symptoms of the viral disease.

The mayor’s office had been closed for disinfection along with the common areas of the city hall, she said.

Belmonte assured the public that the services of the city government would continue while she is on quarantine.

“Even though my movement is limited, I will continue to monitor the operations of the local government,” she said.

According to Belmonte, she has prepared herself for the possibility of contracting the virus given her activities that involved visits to health centers and hospitals as well as areas under “special concern lockdowns” to personally check the needs of the city residents.

“I contracted the virus despite taking extra precaution such as wearing a face mask, frequent hand washing and social distancing,” she said.  “I hope it may serve as a reminder that we should really be careful as COVID-19 is an unusual disease.”

The city government said Belmonte would continue working while she is on quarantine.

Contact tracing

Rolly Cruz, who heads the ESU, said they are doing contact tracing of all city hall personnel who had close contact with the mayor in the past few days.

Cruz said employees whose offices are located on the 3rd and 14th floors of the city hall would undergo swab testing.

“Other people who had direct contact with the mayor, including visitors, will also undergo swab tests,” he said.

“Those who will be tested need to undergo home quarantine until the results are released as part of health protocols,” Cruz added.

Belmonte would continue to discharge her duties while on quarantine, according to city legal chief Nino Casimiro.

“She has not shown any symptoms of the virus and remains committed to serving her constituents,” Casimiro said, adding that the mayor attended the executive committee meeting online.

As of Tuesday, the Department of Health recorded 3,869 cases of COVID-19 in Quezon City with 2,214 recoveries and 247 deaths. Of the number, 1,301 are active cases.

JOY BELMONTE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with