Taal evacuees relocation resumes
Elizabeth Marcelo (The Philippine Star) - May 17, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The relocation of families displaced by the eruption of Taal Volcano last January will resume as the country transitions to a “new normal” amid the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.

Secretary Eduardo del Rosario of the Department of Human Settlement and Urban Development (DHSUD) said they are coordinating with concerned local government units.

Del Rosario said the DHSUD and Batangas provincial government pooled their resources through the Local Shell Task Force to extend assistance to the evacuees.

Del Rosario said the Home Development Mutual Fund or Pag-IBIG Fund, Social Housing Finance Corp. and National Home Mortgage Finance Corp. would also extend assistance to the displaced families.

The National Housing Authority (NHA) said 495 housing units originally intended for police and military personnel were awarded to families displaced by Taal Volcano’s eruption.

DHSUD-Calabarzon director Jeck Otero said 105 units in Barangay Talibon in Ibaan, Batangas are also available for Taal evacuees.

”The NHA said there are still available units for Taal evacuees in other housing projects. They will provide us with the list,” Otero said.

Otero said that some of evacuees were provided with skills enhancement trainings before the relocation process was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said water and electricity issues in the housing sites had been addressed.

EDUARDO DEL ROSARI
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with