Boy, 2, tests positive for COVID
Ric Sapnu (The Philippine Star) - April 7, 2020 - 12:00am

SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga, Philippines —  A two-year-old boy in Olongapo City has tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), authorities reported yesterday.

The boy, who is confined at a hospital in Bataan, became the city’s third COVID patient. 

Mayor Rolen Paulino Jr. said the boy has congenital heart disease and is a regular patient of the hospital.

“He is in stable condition as of now,“ Paulino said.

Meanwhile, a 35-year-old female nurse became the sixth COVID case in Zambales.

The nurse works in one of the hospitals in  the Subic Bay Freeport Zone, where she was admitted on April 1, according to provincial health officer Noel Bueno.

Results of her swab test were released on April 5, confirming she tested positive for COVID-19.

“The nurse is in stable condition despite intermittent fever, cough and colds,“ Bueno said.

The city of Dagupan in Pangasinan reported its first fatality due to COVID-19.

The 80-year-old male patient was one of three persons under investigation who died last week before the results of their tests were released, according to a report sent by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine to Mayor Brian Lim.

In Mindanao, the provinces of North Cotabato and Surigao del Norte each recorded their first positive COVID case.

The patient in North Cotabato was among people who watched a cockfight derby in Davao City, where dozens were reportedly infected with the virus.

Gov. Nancy Catamco told journalists that the 40-year-old male patient from Midsayap town is confined at an isolation facility in Kidapawan City.

 The patient in Surigao del Norte arrived in Butuan City from Manila on March 12, according to Jose Llacuna Jr., chief of the Caraga regional health office.

The 68-year-old patient was admitted at the Caraga Regional Hospital in Surigao City on  March 28 after he showed symptoms of the disease.

Results of his confirmatory test were released yesterday morning.

Extended

The provincial government of Pangasinan has extended the extreme enhanced community quarantine to midnight of April 14.

Gov. Amado Espino III extended the deadline of the quarantine period for another week as the province recorded 28 confirmed COVID cases, seven of whom died.

The quarantine period in the province is supposed to end tonight.

Meanwhile, Baguio Mayor Benjamin Magalong may recommend a modified community lockdown once the city sees no more confirmed COVID cases until the quarantine period ends on April 14.

In a meeting with health experts yesterday, Magalong said the modified lockdown would limit the entry of people from other regions as the city gradually opens its economic activities. – With Bebot Sison Jr., Eva Visperas, John Unson, Ben Serrano, Artemio Dumlao, Raymund Catindig

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with