More class suspensions, 4-day workweek over COVID-19
Raymund Catindig, Gilbert Bayoran, Ben Serrano, Miriam Desacada, Ding Cervantes, Eva Visperas, Artemio Dumlao, Ric Sapnu (The Philippine Star) - March 14, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — A four-day workweek will be imposed in some areas even as more local government units have announced class suspensions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19).

Mayor Carmelo Lazatin Jr. of Angeles City, Pampanga yesterday issued a memorandum adopting a four-day workweek for city hall employees starting Monday. 

“Work schedule is reduced to four days (Monday to Thursday), but the number of working hours per day is 10 hours,” the memo read. 

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is implementing a four-day workweek at its field offices and attached agencies in Ilocos starting Monday.

DOLE Region 1 Director Nathaniel Lacambra said working hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Employees of the Clark Development Corp. will also have a four-day workweek starting Monday.

The municipal governments of Carmen and Madrid towns in Surigao del Sur and San Francisco in Agusan del Sur suspended classes in the past two days to sanitize and disinfect school buildings.
    Mayors Kirk Asis of Bayugan City, Ronnie Lagnada of Butuan City and Cabadbaran City said classes in their areas were indefinitely suspended starting yesterday to ensure the safety of the public.

Mayor Solomon Rufila of San Francisco, Agusan del Sur suspended classes, also to sanitize classrooms and school buildings.

Classes in both public and private schools in Tacloban City, Leyte were suspended from March 13 to 20.

Benguet Gov. Manuel Diclas suspended classes in the province from March 13 to 22.

In Cagayan, Tuguegarao City Mayor Jefferson Soriano said classes are suspended until March 17 to disinfect school buildings and facilities used during the National School Press Conference.

Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo said classes in the province were suspended from March 12 to 17.

Bacolod City Mayor Evelio Leonardia said commencement exercises are suspended until further notice.

Work suspended

At the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Negros Occidental, work was suspended in the past two days upon the recommendation of provincial health officer Ernell Tumimbang after a technical assistant of a board member manifested symptoms of COVID-19.

Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said the offices of the  provincial board was closed for sanitation and disinfection.

A town councilor had earlier tested positive for the flu virus,the provincial government has announced.

Tourist lockdown

Meanwhile, Mayayao town in Ifugao is off-limits to both local and foreign tourists from March 14 to April 22.

“Save and value life as health is wealth,” Mayor Jimmy Padchanan said in Executive Order (EO) 17.

Returning residents and visitors in Tabuk City, Kalinga are required to undergo self quarantine for 14 days, according to an advisory of the city health office.

Mayor Darwin Estrañero said health monitoring checkpoints were put up for passengers of public and private vehicles.

The same policy will be implemented in Ilocos Norte, according to an EO issued by Gov. Matthew Manotoc.

Abra Gov. Joy Bernos imposed a curfew for incoming vehicles from midnight till 4 a.m. since Thursday.

Bernos said passengers should have their temperature checked and submit a health declaration form before entering the province. 

COVID-19 DOLE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with