2 Chinese, Malaysian charged for kidnap of POGO worker
Emmanuel Tupas (The Philippine Star) - October 22, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Police have filed criminal charges against two Chinese and a Malaysian who were tagged in the kidnapping of a Taiwanese employee of a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO) firm in Makati last week.

Charges of kidnapping for ransom with serious illegal detention were filed before the Department of Justice against Chinese Rong Jiawei, 24, and Yang Lei, 37, as well as Malaysian Tang Chan Hong, 40, according to Philippine National Police Anti-Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) director Col. Jonnel Estomo.

The suspects were accused of kidnapping Chang Hsu-Chun, 29, at the Milano Residences in Barangay Poblacion, Makati on Oct. 16.

Police rescued Chang on Friday at the Berjaya Hotel where the victim was held by the suspects.

Estomo said it was Rong who allegedly orchestrated Chang’s kidnapping after the victim refused to return P200,000, which the suspect gave him for renting the victim’s unit for six months.

Rong asked Chang to return the money as he wanted to transfer to another hotel but Chang refused, police said.

Rong and his companions allegedly demanded 30,000 RMB from Rong’s parents in Taiwan in exchange for his freedom.

A video showing Chang being beaten was also sent to the victim’s family, according to probers.

The family of Chang sought the help of Taiwanese authorities, who in turned called the attention of their counterparts in the Philippines about the kidnapping.

Acting on the information, PNP-AKG operatives launched an operation, which resulted in the rescue of the victim and the suspects’ arrest.

PHILIPPINE OFFSHORE GAMING OPERATOR
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with