“We are just waiting for the court to furnish us a copy of the decision allowing Mr. Baldo to post bail,” Batocabe’s son and lawyer Justin told reporters.
Carlwyn Baldo FB Page/File
Rodel Batocabe kin to appeal ruling on ex-Daraga mayor’s release
Cet Dematera (The Philippine Star) - September 3, 2019 - 12:00am

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines — The family of slain Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe will file a motion for reconsideration of a court decision allowing former mayor Carlwyn Baldo of Daraga, Albay to post bail.

“We are just waiting for the court to furnish us a copy of the decision allowing Mr. Baldo to post bail,” Batocabe’s son and lawyer Justin told reporters.

Justin said they might  also file perjury charges against Baldo’s security aide Christopher Naval and his co-accused who recanted their testimonies.

The alleged gunman, Henry Yuson, who surrendered earlier this year, identified Baldo as the mastermind.

Also indicted were Emmanuel Rosillo, Jaywin Babor, Henry Tyson, Rolando Arimado and Danilo Luella.

“They received the reward money because of their testimonies that it was Mr. Baldo who ordered the killing of my father and his escort. Now that they recanted... we could charge them with perjury. We should also take back the reward money given to them by the police,” Justin said.

He expressed concern that Baldo would use his influence and money to sway the testimonies of the witnesses or destroy the evidence of the prosecution.

“We must not forget that Mr. Baldo managed to hide for five days when his warrant of arrest was issued despite a nationwide manhunt,” Justin said.

Baldo’s camp has yet to issue a statement.

In a decision issued on Friday, Legazpi Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa Loquillano allowed Baldo to post bail of P6 million in cash or P8 million in surety or property bond for the two counts of murder filed against him.

Loquillano said the prosecution failed to convince the court that Baldo’s guilt was strong enough to deny his motion to post bail.

Baldo may be released in a week or two depending on how soon his lawyers could comply with the requirements and complete the process of posting bail.

Batocabe and his police escort Orlando Diaz were shot dead after attending a gift-giving event for senior citizens in Barangay Burgos.

The supposed plot to kill Batocabe was hatched in August last year when he announced his plan to run for mayor of Daraga.

Legal remedies

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) will exhaust all legal remedies to reverse the court ruling.

PNP chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde said they would seek assistance from the Office of the Solicitor General.

“We will be asking their assistance kung ano ang puwede natin gawin,” Albayalde told a press briefing yesterday.

When asked if the police is disappointed with the turn of events, he said the PNP respects the decision of the court. – With Emmanuel Tupas

CARLWYN BALDO RODEL BATOCABE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with