Belmonte gathered 141 families affected by fire incidents in Barangays Sauyo, Pag-asa, North Fairview and San Roque from January to March.
Michael Varcas
QC fire victims get assistance
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - July 12, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte yesterday distributed almost P200,000 to victims of fires that hit different parts of the city this year.

Belmonte gathered 141 families affected by fire incidents in Barangays Sauyo, Pag-asa, North Fairview and San Roque from January to March.

Also present were eight families affected by the fire in Barangay Payatas on Wednesday.

Data from the city government showed that families who owned the razed houses received P2,000 each, while renters or sharers received P1,000 each.

“To those who have been affected by fire incidents in Quezon City, we will release the financial assistance this week,” Belmonte said in Filipino.

“There are those who told me that it takes a long time for them to receive support from the government that they end up having to borrow (money from others). And when they receive the assistance, it only ends up as payment… We should avoid this,” she added.

Belmonte has previously committed to immediately release financial assistance to fire victims in the city.

Four days after a fire in Barangay Bahay Toro on July 1, the mayor personally distributed financial assistance to the 57 families who were left homeless.

Belmonte also vowed to initiate information drives and implement other projects to prevent fire incidents in the city.           

JOY BELMONTE VICTIMS OF FIRES
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with